A large Killarney Ware folding Chess and Backgammon Box made of arbutus wood inlaid with box and other timbers.
The games box is of a typical form, marked for chess and draughts to the outside and for backgammon to the interior. The box is hinged to fold in half for easy storage and has an associated set of lignum and boxwood counters and modern dice.
With the influx of tourists to see Killarney's lakes and mountains, following Queen Victoria's visit in 1861, the local industry in producing furniture and gifts as souvenirs enjoyed an increased demand. Lord Castlerosse astutely presented the Queen with some pieces of locally produced furniture on her visit and this further increased the importance of the local cabinet makers. Killarney Ware is typically made of arbutus wood often inlaid with boxwood and other timbers. Two of the recognised makers were J. Egan and Jeremiah O'Connor, both with workshops on Main Street in Killarney.
A very decorative and usable games board. Circa 1870.
Size Open is given.