Maker: Ross & Co.
Category: Campaign Furniture
A pair of walnut Campaign Side or Dining Chairs made by Ross & Co. for the 6th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment.
The square backed chairs retain their original leather upholstery embossed with the regiment's name in a scroll beneath a prancing horse. There is evidence of the chairs originally having had an ivorine maker's plaque but the design and numbering system leaves no doubt that the chairs are by Ross. One chair has the numbers 64 and 65 to ensure the correct components are used to assemble the chair with the other 70 and 71. The square section back legs, that hold the back in place, are fixed in position by dome headed bolts as opposed to thumb bolts. Although not original, they have been there for a long time. The 6th Battalion was formed in 1888 and was mostly made up of middle class volunteers. In 1884 they moved from 16 Soho Street to more comfortable and better equipped headquarters at 59, Everton Road where they stayed until 1914. It is likely these chairs were from the Officer's Mess at one or both of these locations.
Square Back chairs are harder to find than the more common Balloon Backs by Ross. Chairs retaining their original regimental upholstery can be considered rare. Circa 1890.