A George III silver compass with an enamelled dial and domed glass.
The compass has a 16-point star surrounding the maker's details of J. Bleuler, Ludgate Street, London and shows all the Cardinal, Half Cardinal and False Points. The case had a bowed hanging ring and a locking lever. The bottom of the case has full hallmarks for London with worn maker's initials which might be WI or D. The top half of the case only has a partial hallmark.
John Bleuler was a much respected mathematical and optical instrument maker who was apprenticed to Henry Shuttleworth of Ludgate Street at the end of the 18th century. Bleuler carried on working for his master for another 11 years after he completed his apprenticeship before he opened his own shop in 1790 at 27 Ludgate Hill, moving to Ludgate Street a year late. He was very successful and was a member of the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers and served as their Master in 1792, 1795, and 1811.
This is a smart compass and was likely to have been owned by a man of means. The hallmark dates it to 1815.