Maker: Army & Navy CSL
Subcategory: Campaign Chests
This Aldershot Chest has an interesting history, first owned by 'Rev. HM Johnson, S. John's Rectory, Chatham, Kent', whose details are marked to the back.
Born in 1876, Henry Martin Johnson probably bought the chest for his trip to South Africa in 1904, where he was vicar in 4 different locations before returning to England in 1914. Being in Chatham it is logical he sold it to Williamson, a Naval officer of H.M.S. Chester. Williamson lost his life on board H.M.S. Chester on May 31st 1916 during the Battle of Jutland.
The chest is in good condition and the mahogany top section has particularly well chosen timber. The top right drawer is marked with an ivory plaque noting 'Army & Navy C.S.L. Maker'. This drawer also has an unusual lock operating with a V shaped key. For travel, the feet are removed, along with the cupboard shelf and mouldings. The top drawer section then fits into the cupboard and the shelf stands against the drawers for protection.
The Army & Navy Club offered 3 variations of this chest, the other two being in teak or oak. The mahogany chest was the best quality and most expensive. Circa 1900.