A gilt brass Captain Hutchinson's Improved Patent Compass in red leather case.
This prismatic compass is engraved to the back with its title along with the retailer's name of S & B Solomon. The compass has a tall folding sight placed at north with a shorter sight at south. The shorter sight also has a prismatic eyepiece allowing you to line up the green floating dial exactly. A button beneath the tall sight can then be set to hold the degree position. Solomon's name and Albermarle address are printed to the centre of the dial. The compass is also engraved with the initials JHHR. S & B Solomon were opticians established around 1838. Their main address was 39 Albermarle St. Piccadilly in London but they started at 5 New Road, St, George's East and also had premises at 76 King St. City.
The case is good quality and also has an engraved shield with the owner's initials. The strap can be transferred to the compass. It's known that the A&N CSL also retailed Hutchinson's Patent Compass. Late 19th Century.
Case Size is given.